I’ve been neglecting my rogue of late. It’s not that I have grown tired of him it’s just that I have had other things with other characters to do. So on Sunday I dusted off the old daggers and set about spending some quality time with said Rogue. I had some specific things in mind, mostly General Achievement based – nothing that would require much skill (just as well really). Some of the more active guild members decided on a VoA10, good luck with that I’ve got books to read for Better Read. I’m working my way through the books when it turns out they have 9 people for VoA10 and need a dps slot. There weren’t too many online at the time and the options were pretty much me, the guy in the BG or the person who was AFK. They drew the short straw and I said I’d give it a go. But oh its been so long since I raided, my skills as they were are not so much rusty as corroded and crumbled to dust.
So let’s do a quick checklist on the sort of things we all know should happen.
- Know the Instance and the strategies for the fights. Ok, it’s the bit behind the WG fortress doors. I knew the first boss fight, I’ll wing the rest – how hard can it be?
- Come prepared. Ensure you have flasks, health pots and stat food. 2 out of 3 here. I have my health pots and stat food always, my flasks are in the bank. Hell, I was summoned from Scholomance and I don’t use flasks in there!
- Use a MA macro. Yay, remembered that one. Even managed TotT on the tank (well, after the second pull I did anyway)
- A Dead Rogue does no DPS. Well – no deaths at all from me, how pro am I? I even managed to stay out the green shit fairly well. To be fair though it was mostly red or white, didn’t see much green at all. I even managed to drop out and heal myself when necessary.
- Rogues do damage, that’s what you are there for. I managed about 4300 dps throughout, which while I felt it was slightly low wasn’t bad considering Mutilate had been nerfed slightly since I last raided and I was seriously rusty. On the meters I came in fourth marginally behind a DK who was on about 4305 but the top two were pulling 5-6k so significantly behind them. Overall not too bad a performance I felt.
- Loot Boss. Not a single rogue item the whole time. Just meh…..
7. As a Mutilate rogue ‘Hunger for Blood‘ should be up the entire time. Oh f***, f***, f***ety F***! I only remembered this after the fight. Three bosses, various trash and not once did I put up HfB. My head is hung in shame. No wonder I felt the dps was a bit low…
8. As a mutilate rogue you should always Glyph for HfB. This works like a charm, providing you hit the hfb button of course.
No one in the guild mentioned anything about it all. I was the only rogue there, so the question is were they too polite to mention it, did they just think I was that clueless or did they not notice. I’d prefer answer 3, but I can’t see it somehow. Perhaps I just need to do a bit more of this kind of thing (I mean raiding and not missing out on HfB, lets not do that again).
Back to rogue school for me, probably with detention and extra homework. Next post won’t be until they let me out. I may be some time….